Featured Athlete – Maeve Wiencek

Devyn Roberts, Staff Reporter

Without lacrosse, junior, Maeve Wiencek would not have the concepts of hard work and perseverance that she has now. Wiencek has been playing the sport for eight years and is on the Varsity Lacrosse team. She played for the traveling lacrosse team Tenacity last season and was Varsity Lacrosse captain last year.

Wiencek came to love lacrosse because her first few years playing the sport were a good experience for her. She started playing lacrosse in the fourth grade and enjoys the sport.

“Because it is really competitive and you get to improve your skills.”

Last year, she received the award of First Team All League as a midfielder. Wiencek feels that her role model comes from within her team.

“Any upperclassmen that I have played with have taught me the game and shown me hard work and how to be part of a team,” Wiencek said.

Having time for extracurricular activities, homework, and school is a challenge to any student. All of these responsibilities add up and it is difficult to make time for everything that needs to be done.

“I just make sure that I manage my time as well as possible,” Wiencek said. “And I just try to make sure I lay out my schedule of the week so I know what’s going on and do my homework in my spare time.”

As school and sports continue to go on, Wiencek knows that lacrosse will be a part of her future.

“After high school I would like to play lacrosse in college and help out with lacrosse in any community I am a part of.”

Competitive sports can be difficult to have fun in, but fantastic memories are worth the hard work.

“After every goal [one of us scores], Ally and I chest bump.”

Featured Athlete – Maeve Wiencek